Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Calm After The Storm.

 23And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.
 24And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.
 25And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.
 26And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
 27But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him! (Matthew 8:23-27, King James Version)

The past couple of weeks have been very distressing though out the mid-west and south. Storms on top of storms, with destruction and heart ache following. It is during this time we must cling to the the Lord. He is with us in the storms and he will bring us safely through. Sometimes the safety is here on earth, but sometimes that safety is in Heaven with Him. This also goes with the emotional storms of life.
Last month was a series of tempests in my life: college finals required me to miss more work than usual leading to financial hardship, I lost a childhood friend to a motorcycle wreck, a friend's son, who had numerous medical problems, died at the age of twelve, and a child close to me went through a difficult time requiring time in a mental facility. These things seemed to come back to back, like the storms of the past week. It felt like all the stability I had crumbled underneath me. It was during this time I had to cry out to Jesus. I did not understand the storms. I was hurt and confused. It was then that my Lord stepped in and said,"Peace, be still" He did not calm the storms around me, but he did calm the storms in me. He gave me peace and hope that, "this too shall pass." and carried me through to the other side. No storm is pleasant when we are going through them, but the peace that comes with a relationship with Christ is the thing that makes them bearable. I am now in a time of refreshing, but when the next series of storms come through, I know that Christ will be there seeing me through!

0 comments:

Post a Comment